Click for main page
Bressingham Gardens have been created by Adrian Bloom and his father Alan Bloom,
these unique gardens are called the Dell and Foggy Bottom.
Bressingham also has a large locomotive collection and is home to the Royal Scot.
The National Dad's Army collection is also here with a mock up of Walmington-on-sea.
Bressingham Gardens are near Diss on the A1066 and 14 miles east of Thetford.
Is only 4 miles north west of Holt on the north Norfolk coast. Cley lies in the Norfolk Coast AONB
( Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) and the North Norfolk Heritage Coast.
It's location to nearby salt marshes make it a destination for bird watchers (twitchers). Cley Tower mill
was once owned by the family of singer James Blunt.
A major naval base for Admiral Horatio Nelson who landed in Great Yarmouth after the battle of the Nile.
He was given the freedom of the borough at the Wrestler's Inn on Church Plain, after Lord Nelson's death at
Trafalgar a monument was erected at South Denes in 1815.
The Rows are a network of 145 very narrow streets within the town wall. A special Troll Cart was made to transport
goods up and down them. The narrowest of all Rows was Kitty Witches connecting King Street with Middlegate Street.
The birth place of Anna Sewell the author of Black Beauty is just off the Market Place next to St Nicholas Church.
Wooden sea wall defences were built at Happisburgh in the late 1950s but large areas of the sandy cliff often
fall into the sea. Government funding of the sea defences are very limited.
Happisburgh lighthouse was built in 1790 and was originally one of a pair. The year before in 1789 a severe
winter storm claimed 600 lives and 70 sailing ships this prompted Trinity House to build the two lighthouses.
The lighthouses started life as candle powered but later in 1801 the candle lanterns where replaced by
oil lamps with polished reflectors.
In 1883 the lighthouse was given it's three red bands necessary to distinguish it from the lighthouse
at Winterton on sea in daylight.
Hickling Broad is the largest of all the Norfolk Broads and is home to one of The Norfolk Wildlife Trust centres.
The village sign shows the old priory ruins and four roundels depicting the reed cutter, swallow-tailed butterfly,
the bittern and a peat digger.
The tradition of village signs started in Norfolk and was the idea of King Edward V11. The idea was that villages
around the Royal Sandringham Estate should reflect their identity in the signs.
Many signs in the area have been carved by Harry Carter.
Horsey Wind pump was built in 1897 and is owned by the National Trust. Nearby Brograve Mill can be viewed
on Brograve level in the parish of Waxham. The mill built in 1771 is now in an extremely derelict condition, the
purpose of the mill was to drain Brograve level into the Waxham New Cut.
Horsey gap is also well worth a visit, Horsey seals can be seen between mid December and mid January as this
is the time Horsey seal pups are born, they are looked after by the adult seals until old enough to fend for themselves
in the North Sea.
A small village in the middle of the Norfolk Broads and is a walk away from the ruins of St Benet's Abbey.
St Benet's Abbey founded in the 9th century by a hermit called Suneman. Later more was added by Wolfric
in the 10th century and later King Canute developed it into the Monastery of St Benet-at-Holm. The Bishop
still holds the title of Abbot of St Benet's.
A little to the north west of Ludham is How Hill home to a grand Edwardian thatched mansion on the River Ant.
Is on the east coast of Norfolk only 3 miles from the North sea and 9 miles north of Great Yarmouth.
The centre of Martham has a large playing field with two village ponds. It is near to the river Thurne and
just over a mile to the north is Martham Broad a 140 acre nature reserve.
Sandringham Estate is the Norfolk country retreat of Her Majesty the Queen. The gardens were opened to
the public by King Edward VII in 1908 and in 1930 the Museum, created by King George V was opened.
With in the estate is the church of St Mary Magdalene a place of worship often used by the Royal Family.
Sandringham is near the A148 and about mid way between King's Lynn and Fakenham.
A very small village on the River Thurne with a population of 116 (2001 census). The Thurne Dyke Wind Pump
at one end of Thurne Dyke is well worth a photo. On the other side of the river is another wind pump the
St Benet's Level Wind Pump.
A long distance public footpath the Weaver's Way runs through the village.
Or Wells as it is known locally is located on the north Norfolk coast midway between Cromer and Hunstanton
and is 32 miles north west of Norwich.
Nearby villages include Blakeney, Burnham Market, Burnham Thorpe (famous as the birthplace of Horatio Nelson),
Holkham (home to stately home Holkham Hall) and Walsingham (a village famed as a major pilgrimage centre).
The harbour is home to local fishing boats and the Dutch Clipper Albatros built in 1899 can often be seen here.
Click here for main page. Norfolkcam - Kevin Rowe.